24 October 2011

Moving Violation

I got a ticket. Not a parking ticket. Not a speeding ticket. A ticket for talking on the cell phone while driving.

I can't plead ignorance on the law, because it was made very clear to us during our driving class that it is illegal to talk on the phone while driving in Japan. The crazy part is that I actually followed protocol by pulling over to the side of the road, putting the car in park and turning on my hazard lights. Where I went wrong was pulling out into traffic while still on the phone...even if it was for only 15 seconds.

The story starts as I was trying to find a flower shop reccomended to me by one of Kirk's co-workers to buy her a bouquet for her birthday. It turns out that this shop is now closed and the building is being renovated. Since I could not find it and after driving around the intersection twice, I decided to call him to clarify directions. After talking for a minute or two while I was correctly pulled off the road, I decided to turn around and try to find it one last time. Unfortunately my mind went back to how I would do things back in the States, which would be to stay on the phone with him until I found it. Our conversation was cut short by the flashing lights and blarring sirens.

The whole ticketing process was very different I have to say. I was pulled over by not one, not two, but three officers. One dialed an English-speaking officer on his iPhone to translate the process to me. I was told to go down to the "Police cell" next to the bank to get my ticket. They followed me down there and as we were stopped in traffic, two officers jumped out of the car and sprinted into the office. The third followed me into the parking lot and walked with me into the building. After 20 minutes, I got issued a citation and had to walk next door to the bank to pay it, which amounted to be about a $75 ticket.

Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. It is illegal to talk on your cell phone without a hands-free device in California now. The fine is somewhere in the $300-$375 range, so at least it is not as bad over there in Japan!

    ReplyDelete