20 September 2014

Only in Japan...

We joined a bunch of folks for a farewell dinner for our friend, Kim, at one of the most random, crazy, unique restaurants we have been to yet: THE LOCKUP in Hiroshima.

We had NO idea what we were about to get into as we waited for the rest of the crew by the cab stand on base.

Yup. This is where we went. It's so crazy, I don't think I can put it into words. And unfortunately, it was a really difficult place to take pictures. But I will try to explain: basically, it's a combination of prison, mad scientist, and monster themes. Wrap your mind around that!!

The servers put Kim in handcuffs after we got there and led us all to our table in a jail cell. They then proceeded to close us in. If that wasn't creepy enough, our drink menu consisted of these funky, mad scientist concoctions. We can't read Japanese very well, so it was a lot of guesswork!  


Pretty funny how all of the drinks came out in beakers and syringes, LOL!

Some of the drinks even had us mixing things together to create interesting reactions.

One of the courses was "burnt chicken". It's the lump of coal looking thing on the right side of the plate. Joel said it was actually really tender and quite tasty! I was able to eat the French fries in the bag, but the kicker was the Takoyaki (fried octopus dough balls) on the left. Everyone at the table ate one at the same time. Two of them were filled with hot sauce instead of octopus. And y'all can probably guess that with my luck, I was one of the "winners" in this terrible, terrible roulette game! LOL - I could barely talk for about 10 minutes and NOTHING would take the heat away! 

Making friends with a server

What a uniquely fun night! Y'all are a great group of folks and we miss you, Kim!
Now, I have to tell you, this was far more than just sitting at a table in a cell, drinking out of beakers, and eating weird looking food that may or may not scar your taste buds. No, my friends, this was so much more. There is a "show" that occurs that was the most horrifying, hilarious, hysterical thing I have ever seen!! I was truly scared and creeped out, yet I was laughing so hard I cried. It is an experience you must have for yourself - I REFUSE to give it away. Only in Japan, folks, only in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment